Allotment Primitive Methodist chapel
But where was it?
The 1832 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by T Jackson of the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at a place called simply “Allottment”.
But where was it? Searching various gazetteers does not identify a place and we don’t get the usual information such as the circuit it was in that would enable it to be tracked down.
What we do know is:
- the chapel opened on 26 February 1832
- preachers at the opening were Mrs Jackson, Rev Stowell and T Jackson
- it measured 18′(w) x 30′(l)
- T Taylor built it free of expense
- the society had 43 members
- they planned to start a Sunday school very soon
- there was no other church in the village
All suggestions welcome!
Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 229