Hereford Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Church 1880

St Owen's Street HR1 2PR

Steven Wild
Church photographed in 1991
David Hill
Hereford Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Church

In time the Primitive Methodist congregation outgrew its first home on St Owen’s Street – see here.

The 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine records  the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel.  The stones were laid by J Rankin “who perfected his work by a donation of £50”.

The chapel opened in 1880. It is marked on the 1885  Ordnance Survey map as Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

The former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel is still active in 2022 as St John’s  Methodist Church.

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 637

Comments about this page

  • The Herefordshire Through Time website records the following.

    Hereford: Primitive Methodist Chapel

    HER no. 36573, OS grid ref: SO 5128 3984

    This chapel was built in 1880 to replace the earlier Methodist Chapel further along St. Owen Street (see above). It is a Gothic-style construction of good size with impressive interior galleries. The front wall is of three bays with a pediment enclosing a date-tablet. There was originally a central entrance with a small window above and tall windows with round-arched heads on either side. 

    (Information taken from Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England, 1986)

    The church is still open today (2015) being the largest church in the Herefordshire (South and East) Methodist Circuit.

    By Geoff Dickinson (24/10/2015)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *