Leinthall Starkes Primitive Methodist Chapel (removed)
Leinthall Starkes Civil Parish, Herefordshire.
Approximate Location GR – SO 43698 69759
Herefordshire Through Time monument search site states :- A green corrugated iron Methodist chapel built in 1884. It was sold in 1920 and moved to Leinthall Starkes and again sold in 1983 to the Tynddol Youth Centre. Both the chapel and the church at Buckton (see HSM 30629) may have been bought from William Cooper at 761 Old Kent Road, London, a mail order firm dealing with corrugated iron ecclesiastical buildings.
The Visitoruk web site states for Leinthall Starkes :- Little so far is known of the early story of the chapel except that in 1884 a rent of 30s per year for the ‘Chapel Room’ was being paid to Harriett Preece. Was this for a room in the timber-framed house known as Chapel Cottage today? In 1920 Evan Dyke and Cecil Griffiths, owners of the reading room with land adjoining, sold part of it for £15 to the Primitive Methodist Circuit of Leintwardine on which to re-erect the iron building from Adley Moor which had been closed some twelve months. In 1946 Mrs Ann Elizabeth Griffiths according to her late husband’s wishes gave the reading room to the trustees of the chapel. This chapel closed about 1983 and has been removed.
N.B.The village information above is taken from The Herefordshire Village Book, written by members of the Herefordshire Federation of Women’s Institutes and published by Countryside Books.
Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 205. WIGMORE – LIMEBROOK. In Limebrook township a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Limebrook appears to refer to area which is the centre of Leinthall Starkes. There is no detail about the chapel, perhaps it was the reading room as above.
The 1903 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map shows the position of the reading room adjacent to which the corrugated iron chapel was transferred to in 1920.
POWYS COUNTY ARCHIVES/ARCHIFAU SIR POWYS records.
Knighton Primitive Methodists, Knighton Wesleyan Methodists; Builth Wells. Ref. R/NC/4/A :- Ref. Leintwardine Methodist Circuit Preaching Plans, from 13 Oct 1940 – 31 July 1972, with only 3 plans missing.
In 1940 there were churches at Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Bucknell, Walford, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Clungunford, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry.
In 1972 the churches listed were Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Walford cum Bucknell, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry Chapels.