Leintwardine Primitive Methodist Chapel

Church Street, Leintwardine Civil Parish, Herefordshire.

Leintwardine PM Chapel 2013 | R Beck
Leintwardine PM Chapel 2013
R Beck
Leintwardine Methodist parish room | R Beck
Leintwardine Methodist parish room
R Beck
1841 Leintwardine Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1993 | Keith Guyler 1993
1841 Leintwardine Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1993
Keith Guyler 1993

Location GR – SO 40475 74035 

 

In 2013 this an active Methodist Church which is part of the Southern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. The chapel lies behind a house fronting Church Lane opposite the Parish Church. It has a later addition parish room to the west dated 1992.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- Situated on Church Street in the centre of Leintwardine, now a private house.(2013 it is still active as above). On the 1846 tithe map the building is shown as a chapel and land under the ownership of Messrs Langford. On the OS map of 1865 it is shown as a Primitive Methodist Chapel.

 

English Heritage, PastScape web site search states :- Monument No. 1499560. Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1841. Rubble walls and slate roof.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 120. LEINTWARDINE. A Primitive Methodist chapel, with 100 sittings.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 137. LEINTWARDINE. A Primitive Methodist chapel, with 140 sittings.

 

On the 1885 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Meth. Chap. Prim.

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Meth. Chap. (Prim)

On the 1975 – 77 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Church.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

 

POWYS COUNTY ARCHIVES/ARCHIFAU SIR POWYS Archives hold, Leintwardine Methodist Circuit Preaching Plans, from 13 Oct 1940 – 31 July 1972.

Which state:-In 1940 there were churches at Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Bucknell, Walford, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Clungunford, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry.

In 1972 the churches listed were Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Walford cum Bucknell, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry Chapels.

 

note added Sept 2017 by CH

Joseph Grieves writes about the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel in Leintwardine in the Primitive Methodist magazine (April 1842, page 144-5).  You can see the account in the document attached to this page.

Downloads
account of the opening of Leintwardine chapel, transcribed by David Tonks from the Primitive Methodist magazine of April 1842 page 144-145

Comments about this page

  • Hertfordshire Archives & Record Centre:

    Ref. K76/7: Leintwardine Primitive Methodist (Circuit) Preacher Plans fastened to a board, 1915-1916.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (18/07/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone