Hatfield Primitive Methodist Chapel (demolished)

Lockley's Heath, Hatfield and Newhampton Civil Parish, Herefordshire

Location GR – SO 5957 5967

 

Situated on the south side of the road near Hockley Hall. The chapel is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps. It was built for the Primitive Methodists in 1869, at a cost of £90, and formed part of the Ludlow Methodist Circuit. In 1882 the Ludlow Circuit agreed to pass the chapel over to the Bromyard Circuit, along with nine members.

By 1883 the membership was up to 24, second in size only to Bromyard. Two years later the estimated congregation size was 40. After being amalgamated into the Bromyard Circuit there was one service held on Sundays and one on Thursdays.

By 1906 the numbers had dropped to 11 and by 1915 had dropped further, to eight. Membership continued to fall to as few as five in 1923.

A Sunday School was held at this chapel. In 1882 there was one teacher and 12 children, but by 1902 this had risen to two teachers and 31 children.

Miss A.M.S. Saer, who was baptised in the chapel, remembers a bomb being dropped nearby during World War II, which cracked one of the walls.

The building continued to be used for services into the 1950s, when it was sold and used as a barn, with services then being held at Dhobie Cottage nearby. In the mid-1980s the chapel was demolished and a house built on the site.

The above is from the website, Herefordshire Through Time

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 59. HATFIELD. A Primitive Methodist chapel was built here in 1869.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 69. HATFIELD. A Primitive Methodist chapel was built here in 1869.

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1890.

On the 1886 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1904-5 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1928 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Chapel

On the 1972 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is shown but not marked as a place of worship.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940, Birmingham District – 212 Leominster – Structure, brick. Seating Accomadation, 50. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 212. Leominster :- Leominster (Green Lane), Dilwyn, Stockton, Shirlheath, Ivington, Upper Hill, The Hundred, Hatfield, Weobley, Ledgemoor, Tillington, Almeley, Norton’s Wood, Stockmore, Staunton-on-Wye.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone