Hereford - Chandos Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

South West corner of Chandos Street, Hereford

Hereford - Chandos Street Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014 | R Beck
Hereford - Chandos Street Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014
R Beck
Hereford - Chandos Street PM Chapel 2014 | R Beck
Hereford - Chandos Street PM Chapel 2014
R Beck
Hereford - Chandos Street Sunday School 2014 | R Beck
Hereford - Chandos Street Sunday School 2014
R Beck
Chandos Street Sunday School Foundation Stone | R Beck
Chandos Street Sunday School Foundation Stone
R Beck
Chapel photographed in 1991 | David Hill
Chapel photographed in 1991
David Hill

Location GR – SO 49972 40125

 

The Chapel was built in 1902 to replace the smaller one in Clifford Street very near by. An opening date has yet to be found.

The building work for the new Sunday School building at the South end of the Chapel commenced in 1908 with a memorial stone laid by the Earl of Chesterfield on November 12th 1908.

The Sunday School was opened on Thursday 22nd April 1909, with a ceremony of unlocking the front door performed by Mr W Adams of Birmingham. The building consisted of an upper meeting room for 230 persons, Sunday School room for 150 children and a basement with store and boilers. The builder was Mr T Hiles. The architect for both Chapel and Sunday School was Mr W Robinson. A very full account of the opening appeared in the Hereford Times of Saturday 24th April 1909.

In October 2012 the Methodist Church proposed the selling off of the pews for £250 each to support the work of the church and EnviroAbility charity. The project was to allow people to choose and buy one of its Victorian seats to use as furniture in their own homes and then have it cut to size and adapted into a unique and functional piece of furniture that incorporates an element of local history and, perhaps for some, personal memories.

In early 2014 the buildings do not appear to be in use and vandalism of the windows has begun as shown in the front elevation.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site has no results.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 74. HEREFORD Chandos St. another (Primitive Methodist chapel) in Chandos street, built in 1902, with 300 sittings; in rear of this is a Sunday school, built in 1908 at a cost of about £900.

 

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive).

On the 1929 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as PrimitiveMethodistChurch.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

 

 

Methodist Church, Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – Hereford Chandos Street. – Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 240. Type of Seating, P. School Hall, 2.Other Rooms, 2.

 

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 209. Hereford :- Hereford (st. Owen Street), Chandos Street, Birch, Swinmore, Marcle Hill, Shucknall, Hampton Bishop, Cobnall, Didley.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone