Norton Wood Primitive Methodist Chapel

South side of Pig Street, Norton Canon Civil Parish, Herefordshire

Norton Wood Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013
R Beck
Norton Wood PM Chapel wall plaque
R Beck
Plaque depicting original Norton Wood Chapel
R Beck
Chapel in 1992
David Hill

Location GR – SO 36077 48566


In 2013 the Chapel is now a dwelling. It has been much altered, losing its left front window and entrance door. There are also extensions present on either side. There is a wall plaque on the West extension depicting the original configuration of the building. The original wall plaque states “Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel A.D. MDCCCLXIV.” No exact closure date has yet been found.


Herefordshire Through Time website states :- On a road leading south-east from Kinnersley to Norton Canon is Norton Wood Chapel. It is of red and blue bricks with circular windows and a slate roof. On the front of the chapel is engraved “Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel 1864” with the date in Roman numerals (MDCCCLXIV), which is rare for chapels in this area.

In March 1862 the Weobley Quarterly Meeting decided that the friends of Norton Wood should be allowed to build a chapel there. By October 1863 land had been secured. A chapel was built that held 120 people and cost £200. The building was opened the following year. It received its certificate of worship in 1865. There were two services held every Sunday, at 2.30pm and 6pm.

The membership of the Norton Wood Chapel remained relatively steady over the next 50 years:

  •  1884  16 members
  •  1906  19 members
  •  1912  17 members
  •  1916  23 members
  •  1931  12 members

In 1888 the Quarterly Meeting Minutes report problems of neglect at Norton Wood. These seem to have been sorted out as in 1912 the Quarterly Meeting Minutes of the Weobley Circuit show that at the Sunday School Anniversary the chapel was “full and overflowing”.

In the 1940s travelling preachers ministered there, many walking or riding several miles to do so, with members of the congregation supplying them with meals.

The chapel was still in use up until 1963, when the Border Commission said that it should centralise with Eardisley Chapel. The chapel was later sold and was used as a shed for grass seed and corn.

(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches)


Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1888.


On the 1887 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Ebenezer Chapel (Primitive Methodist)

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked asEbenezer Chapel (Primitive Methodist)

On the 1975 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked EbenezerMethodistChurch.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.


Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – Norton Wood –  Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 88. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 212. Leominster :- Leominster (Green Lane), Dilwyn, Stockton, Shirlheath, Ivington, Upper Hill, The Hundred, Hatfield, Weobley, Ledgemoor, Tillington, Almeley, Norton’s Wood, Stockmore, Staunton-on-Wye.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *