Orleton Common Primitive Methodist Chapel
Waterloo, Orleton Common, Orleton Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 47350 68350
In 2013 the building is being used as a general store building. It only has two windows on the front elevation, to the common Herefordshire configuration. The overall condition is poor but dry inside. Its closure date has not yet been found.
Wall plaque date is 1848, MDCCCXLVIII. Roman numerals are rare in Herefordshire.
A Primitive Methodist Chapel on Orleton Common, which is shown on the 1888 1st Edition OS map, but not on the most recent one. (Herefordshire Through Time)
Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 146. ORLETON. A Primitive Methodist chapel.
Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 167. ORLETON. A Primitive Methodist chapel.
On the 1884 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1903 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1975 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Orleton Common Methodist Church.
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps
Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – not recorded in Birmingham District.
From “Primitive Methodism in Shropshire” by Delia Garratt, there was a society at Orleton Common that appeared in the 1831 circuit book, also it appeared in the Ludlow circuit in 1840. The location of the original chapel or meeting place has yet to be found it may have been on this site.