Marcle Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel

South side on minor road, Marcle Hill, Much Marcle Civil Parish, Herefordshire

Marcle Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014 | R Beck
Marcle Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014
R Beck
Marcle Hill PM Chapel
Marcle Hill PM Chapel
Marcle Hill Wall Plaque | R Beck
Marcle Hill Wall Plaque
R Beck

In 2014 this is a dwelling. The Wall Plaque shows its opening date as 1858. The closing date is not known as yet.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states : A Primitive Methodist Chapel to the east of Much Marcle. It is shown on the 1887 1st Edition OS map, but not on the modern ones.-

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, No entry.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 158. MUCH MARKLE – (MARKLE HILL). A Primitive Methodist chapel at Marcle Hill, erected in 1858.

 

On the 1888 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1929 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Chapel.

On the 1975 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Chapel.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.

 

Methodist Church, Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – Hereford – Marcle Hill – Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 70.  Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.

 

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 209. Hereford :- Hereford (st. Owen Street), Chandos Street, Birch, Swinmore, Marcle Hill, Shucknall, Hampton Bishop, Cobhall, Didley.

Comments about this page

  • There’s an account by Thomas Hobson in the 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine (p.108-109) of the opening of Marcle Hill chapel in the Hereford circuit on October 24th 1858. Previously they had been meeting in the house of Richard Perrin, a local preacher, but the society grew so much that people couldn’t get in. Land was given by Mr & Mrs Mogridge, recent converts, and a chapel built  of brick and blue slate, 23′ x 18′ and with a boarded floor.

    Opening services and tea meeting for 80 were addressed by Messrs Thomas Morgan of London, Richards, Shephard and Thomas Hobson. It cost £70 and they had raised £20.

    By Christopher Hill (18/05/2017)
  • And like that in Kynaston, a mere two miles away, and the one in the woods on Broadmoor Common it is constructed with rat trap bonded brickwork. Was there a common builder?

    By Stephen Horsfield (30/04/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone