Shucknall Primitive Methodist Chapel
On a lane leading to Shucknall Hill from A4103, Weston Beggard Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 58874 42758
In 2014 the building is a dwelling. It was constructed on the south side of a hill and has a basement. There is a terracotta plaque with the date 1875 on the east elevation. It is not known when it closed.
Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- On the 1886 1st Edition OS map for this area a building is shown as a Primitive Methodist Zion Chapel. It is situated near to Shucknall Court and is still marked as a place of worship on the 1998 OS map.
Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1891.
On the 1887 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Zion Chapel (Primitive Meth.)
On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Zion Chapel (Primitive Methodist)
On the 1928 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Zion Chapel (Prim. Meth.)
On the 1971 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked Zion Chapel (Meth.)
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.
Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – Shucknall – Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 100. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.
These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 209. Hereford :- Hereford (St. Owen Street), Chandos Street, Birch, Swinmore, Marcle Hill, Shucknall, Hampton Bishop, Cobnall, Didley.