Wigmore Primitive Methodist Chapel 1863
East side of A4110, Broad Street, Wigmore Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 41421 68940
In 2013 the chapel is a dwelling. The foundation stone was laid on Weds. 29th April 1863, full report Hereford Times Sat. 2nd May 1863. The wall plaque states 1863 as the opening date (not as below). Disposed of in 1983.
Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- A Methodist Chapel on the east side of Broad Street, dated to 1865 (see photo & above) and converted into a private dwelling in the late 20th century. The building is red brick with ashlar dressings and a slate roof with pyramidal finials.
It is of two bays and rectangular in plan with the main entrance at the front west end. The front has a central doorway with an arched head and ashlar plinth. On either side of the doorway is an arch-headed window.
A rectangular datestone above the door reads: “Primitive Methodist Chapel Erected 1865 (see photo & above), We Praise Thee O Lord”.
The building is now Grade II Listed.
(Information taken from English Heritage’s ListedBuilding listing description.)
English Heritage, PastScape
Wigmore Reference :-
At one time there were three chapels and now there are none. In September 1853, the Primitive Methodists purchased for £95 the Independent Chapel which had been built in 1847. This became Chapel Cottage in Castle Street which was lived in until the death of Mrs Preece when it was sold to the next door owners of Steppes House. A new chapel was built in 1863 on the A4110 which in 1983 was sold and converted into a house. The Wesleyans had a chapel near the Cross of the Tree on Deerfold where memorials can be seen in the burial ground. The Primitive Methodists in 1864 built a chapel at Crookmullen. It closed and in 1976 was sold and since has been converted into a house.
Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 179. WIGMORE. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 205. WIGMORE – There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1890.
On the 1886 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1903 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1975 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Meth Ch.
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps
POWYS COUNTY ARCHIVES/ARCHIFAU SIR POWYS Archives hold, Leintwardine Methodist Circuit Preaching Plans, from 13 Oct 1940 – 31 July 1972.
Which state:-In 1940 there were churches at Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Bucknell, Walford, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Clungunford, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry.
In 1972 the churches listed were Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Walford cum Bucknell, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry Chapels.