Wyson Primitive Methodist Chapel
Wyson Lane, Brimfield Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 52002 67999
In 2013 the building is active as Wyson Methodist Church which is part of the Tenbury, Wyson & Orleton Methodist Cluster.
A hall stands alongside to the South, which was rebuilt in 1999.
There is a grave to the right of the entrance path, also a small loose headstone propped against the boundary wall.
Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- A chapel that was enlarged in 1845 but has two bays to the rear, which may be slightly earlier. The window heads and front gable were rebuilt.
The date stone above the door of this chapel reads “Primitive Methodist Chapel Enlarged Anno Domini (Year of our Lord) 1845”.
The chapel is of red brick with a slate-roofed porch at the front. Either side of the porch is a round-headed window and there are windows along each side of the building.
(Source: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England)
English Heritage, PastScape web site states :- MONUMENT NO. 1499461 Primitive Methodist chapel at Wyson enlarged in 1845. Two rear bays are perhaps slightly earlier. Window-heads and the front gable are rebuilt.
Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 26. BRIMFIELD. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel in Wyson, enlarged in 1845.
Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 33. BRIMFIELD. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel in Wyson, enlarged in 1845.
Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1890.
On the 1885 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Meth. Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1904 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1969 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked WysonMethodistChurch.
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.