Kirk Michael Primitive Methodist chapels

Main Road, Kirk Michael, IM6 1HG

In the 1869 Primitive Methodist magazine, Frederick Smith tells us about three new chapels that have opened at Corna, Ballalheigh and Kirk Michael, all in the Peel branch of the Ramsey circuit.

At Kirk Michael they opened “the best country chapel on the island”. Opening preachers included Revs S Smith, R Armfield and G Morris. It boasted a “sweet-toned organ of ten stops and one of the best choirs on the island”.  Mr W Corlett was the organist. The old chapel was retained as a Sunday school.

The cost was £500 of which they raised half. Donors included J Rodgers, Mr Mybrea, Captain Gill.

We wondered whether the chapel still exists, so sent Tim Macquiban from Englesea Brook Museum to investigate – and it does. Tim discovered:

  1. the earlier 1824 chapel in use as a vehicle glass agent
  2. the 1868 chapel called Ebenezer still an active Methodist society.  A hall was added in 1915; until then the 1824 chapel was used as a Sunday school.  There is a farm building between the hall and the 1868  Chapel

A copy of Methodism in Kirk Michael Village by Cyril Renshaw has been obtained for Englesea Brook Museum library.


Primitive Methodist 1869 page 244

Comments about this page

  • Manx National Heritage Library & Archives :
    Kirk (Church), Saint Michael : Kirk (St.) Michael :

    ref. MS 13981, Kirk Michael, Ebenezer, Primitive Methodist Chapel, minute book 1911-1927, account book 1923-32/3, to 1945, including listed material required for construction of new hall, 1914.

    Kind regards, Ray & Marie. ( Æ ).

    By Raymond E. O. Ælla. (28/05/2022)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.