Addiscombe Primitive Methodist chapel
Cherry Orchard Road, Addiscombe, CROYDON, CR0 6BB
In 1869 the Primitive Methodists held their first open-air service in Addiscombe in ‘old Granny Cornfield’s Cottage’ in Cross Road.
In 1871 a plot of land was bought on the corner of Cherry Orchard Road and Leslie Grove. In 1877 a small, brick building was erected on this site, to be soon replaced by a larger church and hall in 1884.
The Christchurch Methodist website contains a cracking 1935 description of the Primitive Methodist society:
‘True to the best Primitive Methodist traditions, the Church was thoroughly evangelical, lively in its worship, evangelistic in its spirit. In addition to the preaching of the Word, prayer meetings, love feasts, and open-air services were the order of the day, whilst the Sunday School grew in strength, at one time numbering more than 200 scholars.’
Christ Church Methodist church website accessed May 19th 2015