Charlton Primitive Methodist chapel
In the Primitive Methodist magazine, J Calvert writes about the laying of the foundation stone of Charlton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Deal and Dover Mission.
“The sixth day of March, 1860, was the day appointed for laying the foundation stone of the proposed new chapel at Charlton, Deal and Dover Mission. A hymn having been sung, the Rev. A. Ibberson (Baptist) read and prayed ; after which Joseph Diggle, Esq.. proceeded to lay the stone, in the name of the ever blessed Trinity. The Rev. N. Raw (Wesleyan) delivered an address, at the close of which the Doxology was sung. The members and friends then assembled in the Wesleyan school-room, where tea was provided, of which 127 partook. A public meeting was held, presided over by Joseph Diggle, Esq. ; addresses were delivered by the Revs. A. Ibberson, Raw, and G. Dawson, Messrs. Flashman, Gilbert, and the writer. The total proceeds of the services, including a donation of £20 by Mr. Diggle, amounted to £25 12s. 0½d.”
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1860 page 305