Faversham Primitive Methodist chapel

The Quays, Faversham

The early Primitive Methodist society at Faversham went through a rough time trying to find a regular place to meet; Joseph Toulson describes it in an article in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine. 

  • in early 1856 when there was a revival, the society was meeting in a second floor room where the landlord was a former member of the society who had been expelled; he locked them out in April 1856
  • after a period of meeting in the open air, they rented a room in a house, but after six months the landlord had his property seized for non-payment of rent. 
  • in March 1857 they rented the Wesleyan chapel but could only use it on Sundays and Tuesday evenings

However, the Wesleyans decided to sell the building and it was bought by the Prims for £70. By the time of opening they had raised £21 and committed themselves to bringing the total to the one third required by the rules.

The chapel was only four years old, built of weatherboard with a brick foundation and accommodated 100 people. Melville’s 1858 Directory of Kent lists it as: 

  • Primitive Methodist, the Quays – Minsters various

Opening services were held from 25th December 1857. Preachers included Rev G Gammon (Bible Christian), J Fagg, S Wearer, J Stacy (Wesleyan), T Epps and Joseph Toulson.


Primitive Methodist magazine May 1858 pp.308-309


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *