Ramsgate Bethesda Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Ramsgate, Bethesda Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Bethesda Street was probably the first chapel the Primitive Methodists had in Ramsgate. Piecing together the story from the Religious Census return and a contemporary history the building was erected in 1829 as a Baptist chapel. In 1841 the Baptists opened an imposing new chapel in Cavendist Street, and sold their old chapel to the Primitive Methodists. Bagshaw informs us that ” it will hold 600 hearers and cost about £1000. There is a gallery quite round it, and has a good organ, which is not generally used.” Kendall tells us the cost was £1100.

On 31st March 1851 James Blades, the minister, reported that congregations of 73, 83 and 100 were present at the three services held that day. It was still in use in 1867, when the building was listed as being registered for public worship. It was replaced the following year by a new chapel in Queen Street.

The whole of Bethesda Street no longer exists, as the area was redeveloped after the Second World War.

Sources:

Bagshaw, Samuel  History, Gazeteer and Directory of Kent. Vol. II 1847 p192

TNA  H.O. 129 70/48

Kendall, H.B.  Origin and history of the Primitive Methodist Church, 1905  v1, p456

 

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.