Sarre Primitive Methodist chapel
Old Road Sarre BIRCHINGTON CT7 0LB
The notes with Keith Guyler’s picture of Primitive Methodist chapel at Sarre, west of Ramsgate, was opened around 1890. It was closed in 1966 and converted into a dwelling in 1977.
The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1872 contains an account of the opening of Sarre Primitive Methodist chapel – with a date twenty years earlier, so probably the preceding chapel
W Dinnick tells us that the chapel was the first chapel or church of any denomination in the village for more than 500 years.
The opening took place on December 14th 1971. Preachers at the services and celebratory tea included Revs T Dinnick (of Ashford), J Tonkin, J Sharp, W Dinnick and Mr Matcham.
The new chapel measured 22′ x 32′ and cost £240. It was one of 6 new chapels with 100 members and property valued at £3,500. opened in the 2 years nine months since the area was first missioned. Sarre chapel opened with 13 members.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1872 page 122