St Leonards Newgate Street Primitive Methodist chapel
Newgate Road, Bohemia, ST. LEONARDS-ON-SEA TN37 6SB
The Sussex Family History Group tell us that Newgate Street Primitive Methodist chapel in St Leonards was registered for worship in 1891 and closed in 1939. However, in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1866, GH Fowler tells us that opening services for Bohemia Primitive Methodist chapel were held on July 1st 1866. Peachers at the opening services and celebrations included Rev T Jobling, T Spalding, A Reed, Mr McSwaine, BH Klenk, E Catt and R Jenner. The site and bricks for building were given by CG Eversfield; other donors included Mrs Spalding, J Newton, FH Fowler, Alderman Clements, Capt Marshall, E Strickland, PF Robertson, E Catt and R Jenner.
The new chapel measured 23′ x 36′ and was built in the Italian style. It cost £365 with £126 raised. The design was deliberately kept simple – as many people in the neighbourhood had been “led astray by pompous show of altar cloths, wax candles and priestly vestments”.
How does this 1866 account accord with the 1891 date above? The Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Newgate Road – in the same location as maps up to the present day so is probably the same chapel, but an earlier building or a redeveloped building.
At the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph in 1987 it was Newgate Hall, used by the Red Cross. On Google Street View in October 2014 it is still owned by the Red Cross, but offered for sale.
Keith Guyler calls it Newgate Street although it is currently Newgate Road.