Banks (Chapel Lane) Primitive Methodist Chapel Lancashire
This chapel was built in 1876 and enlarged in 1903
Banks is a semi-rural village north east of Southport.
[There is an account by GW Armitage in the 1837 Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening in the Preston circuit of Banks Primitive Methodist chapel on November 13th 1836. Preachers were Mr T Aspinall and Rev W Alexander (Independent).
Mr Armitage considered the building was a great achievement for such a poor community. The chapel was built of a frame of pole-wood plastered with clay mixed with straw. They also started a Sunday school which was attended by both children and grown ups.]
In June 2015 the chapel is still open for worship.
Next door is Banks Methodist School built in 1900 as a Primitive Methodist Day and Sunday School. This too is still open.
Photos taken July 2015
OS Map Ref:102:SD396210
Primitive Methodist magazine 1837 page 454