On the back of the postcard shown here is written: ‘Station Road PM Church taken 30 or 40 years ago. Now to be demolished and the site used for a new library. The organ has had to be sold for scrap – £250.’
Information added 10/2017 by CH
The opening of the first Barnoldswick Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded by J Hedley in the Primitive Methodist magazine (1859 page 241).
Mr Bracewell sold the land for the chapel and made a sizeable donation. John Lonsdale laid foundation stone on 24/06/1858 when the preachers were Rev J Rumfitt and J Hedley. The opening preachers on 05/12/1859 were WH Walton and J Hedley.
The chapel cost £200 of which nearly half had been raised by the opening.
Is the 1859 chapel the same one as in the photograph?