Bowlee Primitive Methodist chapel
Heywood Old Rd, Middleton M24 4TH
“the riches of their liberality abounded in the midst of their deep poverty,”
The Primitive Methodist society in Bowlee met in a cottage prior to 1864 and there’s an article in the 1865 Primitive Methodist magazine about the opening of a school room building. It then adds that, by the way, the building will also be used as the chapel.
I’m not sure of the date it was converted to residential use. It is still labelled as a Methodist church on the 1968 Ordnance Survey map. The larger building to the rear at right angles to the building that fronts the road is labelled as Sunday School.
The building still exists on the A6045 – and still carries the date stone AD 1864.
Here’s the account:
“Manchester First Circuit.— Bowlee is a hamlet, situate partly in the parish of Middleton and partly in that of Prestwich, Lancashire. It has a population of about 400 souls, and the nearest place of religious worship was, until recently, above a mile distant from it. It was opened as a home mission place by this station in the spring of 1863. The people listened attentively to the word of life, and many believed and were saved.
A cottage was taken and fitted up for their accommodation, a society formed, and a Sabbath-school opened. “The word of the Lord had free course, and was glorified ;” the cottage became too strait to accommodate the people ; and in the spring of the present year the place was canvassed, when some £30 were promised by the inhabitants themselves towards the erection of a school-room in the place ; and measures were immediately taken to accomplish this object. The entire structure is 50 feet by 32 outside, the school-room itself being 38 by 32 feet, with a vestry at one end, and a class-room over it, both of which are 12 feet by 32.
The building is therefore very convenient for the twofold purpose of a school and chapel, and is fitted up inside accordingly. Beside the money willingly given by the poor villagers, who are principally silk weavers—and of not a few of them it may be said, that “the riches of their liberality abounded in the midst of their deep poverty,”—the effort has evoked a remarkable spirit of liberality from members of the Church of England, as well as from those of Dissenting and Methodist churches. Donations in amounts of £5 and £10, reached the sum of £80.
The stone was laid by Mr. Robert Naylor in May, and the school-room was opened October 2nd, 9th, and 15th, 1864. The Rev. W. Inman, of Rochdale, preached October 2nd, and the collections amounted to £23 4s. 2d. Mr. John Read, of Salford, preached October 9th, when the collections were £17 2s. 6d. The tea on Saturday, October 15th, was well attended, and yielded a good profit. H. Briggs, Esq., of Blakeley, a member of the Church of England, presided over the public meeting, which brought the opening services to a successful close.
The premises are settled on the connexional trust, according to the provisions of the model deed. The entire cost of the property will be about £320. The whole amount of money raised is £220.
In less than two years our gracious God has honoured us in this place by enabling us to raise a Sabbath-school of 140 children, to found a church of 40 members, with a corresponding congregation of some 200 hearers, and to provide them all a home in the easy and pleasing circumstances which have been herein described. ” Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting ; and let all the people say, Amen. Praise ye the Lord.” Psalm cvi. 48. Edward Bishop.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1865 pages 176-177