Chorlton cum Hardy Primitive Methodist chapel

21 High Lane, Chorlton-cum-Hardy M21 9DJ

Chorlton cum Hardy Primitive Methodist chapel

The 1902 Primitive Methodist magazine records that “The (Manchester) Fifth Circuit has not yet completed the building in which the late Rev James Macpherson interested himself in the later years of his life, the new church at Chorlton cum Hardy.

National Archives¬† tell us: ” the ‘MacPherson Memorial Church’ was registered as a place of religious worship in 1897. It was briefly part of Manchester 5th Primitive Methodist (Stretford) Circuit before leaving to head its own circuit, the Manchester 12th PM Circuit. After Methodist Union in 1932, the circuit was dissolved and the church joined Manchester (Great Western Street) ex-PM Circuit and later Manchester (Chorlton and Moss Side) Methodist Circuit. The church closed in 1960 and was destroyed by arson in 1967. The society joined the Manchester Road Church (ref: M67/14).”

The church was on High Lane. Street View shows it still in existence in 2021, carrying carved stones declaring “Built 1896: enlarged 1908”. It is in use as the Manchester Centre for Buddhist Meditation.

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1902 page 315

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *