Clayton-le-Moors; Barnes Street Primitive Methodist Chapel.
Oakenshaw Chapel opened in 1858 and was succeeded by the chapel in Barnes Street, which also opened in 1858. The latter chapel was on the corner with George Street. The July 2015 Google Sat Map shows it to be boarded-up but name and date plaque still intact.
The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies the chapel being constructed of stone and brick, seating 250 on pews with one school hall and two additional rooms. The church closed in the 1960’s.
Follow the link to Genuki to view a picture of the chapel. The link to the Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project shows further pictures with a clear view of the plaque. The School Hall was dated 1870.
Lancashire Archives has the following information about this chapel:
- Ref. MGH: Great Harwood Methodist Circuit Records, to include the following former Primitive Methodist Churches (styled Chapels previously):
- Ref MGH10: Oakenshaw Primitive Methodist Church, opened in 1858: Centenary Souvenir Booklet. Treasurers Account Book. Ministers House Trust Book. Other documents. This PM Church (Chapel) was succeeded by the PM Chapel, Barnes Street, Clayton-le-Moors.
- Ref: MGH18: Primitive Methodist Church, Barnes St., Clayton-le-Moors: Trustees Minutes Book (1880-1897). Order of Religious Services. History Pamphlet, Centenary Celebrations, etc.