The return from Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel in New Road, Colne, to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship tells us that the chapel was brand new. Although the building dated from 1818, it had been unused as a place of worship for three years and the Primitive Methodist society had only just opened it; hence they could not give any attendance details. The return was completed by Joseph Lonsdale, local preacher and a shoemaker by trade.
The 1880 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us that memorial stones had been laid for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Colne. Later in the year a second note tells us that the chapel has been opened.
It contained both a church and a school, and cost £3,500. The day school had appointed an efficient head-master
Where exactly were the chapels and what happened to then?
The 1932 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on the east side of Cumberland Street. On Street View in 2009 the area has been redeveloped.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1880 page 573
Primitive Methodist magazine 1881 page 702