The return from Cromptonfold Primitive Methodist chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by John Sucksmith of Goats Crompton, who is styled as the Manager. He tells us that the chapel was opened in 182 and replaced an earlier chapel of 1821.
It accommodated 250 people . On Census Sunday, the Sunday school had over 130 attending in both the morning and the afternoon. Full services attracted 23 in the afternoon and 43 in the evening. The building also served as a day and evening school.
Street View and Ordnance Survey maps show a later Primitive Methodist chapel on Buckstones Road, still in existence in 2012. It carries the carving Primitive Methodist 1875