The Return from Prosperity Primitive Methodist chapel at Culcheth, Leigh, was completed by Samuel Turner, a teacher. of Risley, near Warrington.
The chapel opened in 1848 and could hold 160 worshippers in free seats. On Census Sunday the attendance was 40 in the afternoon and 44 in the evening. There was no Sunday school.
Where was the chapel and what happened to it? David Tonks, who transcribed the Census return, places it at SJ648956, at the junction of Hob Hey Lane and Broseley Lane, although by the 1905 Ordnance Survey map it is labelled as an Independent Methodist chapel, rather than a Primitive Methodist one. Was that it? David wondered whether there was a link to Risley Independent Methodist chapel; a couple of written histories label its forerunner as Providence chapel, for example in “The History of Risley Independent Methodist Church” John Dolan tells the story of the early years, and later events, in the history of the ‘Prosperity Chapel’ which he locates at Risley. See http://www.risley-im-church.org.uk/docs/risleyhistoryjd.pdf .
What’s the story?