Ulverston Road chapel was built in 1868. This is almost certainly the chapel used by the Primitive Methodists before their move to Cleator Street. Both the location and the date of construction correspond with Christopher Hill’s statement on his Cleator Street page that the old PM chapel was built in Ulverston Road fifteen years before Cleator street. The building is now used as a place of worship by Seventh Day Adventists.
This building is in what was, by 1868, a rather old fashioned classical design. It is similar to Sandgatehead WM in Penrith (1815), Market Place WM in Cockermouth (1840), and Cecil Street PM in Carlisle (1853). Like Cecil Street it had the Sunday school below the chapel in a semi basement. The building also makes a marked contrast with Wellington Street WM which had been built in Dalton five years earlier in the gothic style.
Site visit, 23.7.2016