The Christian Messenger of 1906 tells us about the evolution of the Darwen circuit. You can read it here. In it we are told
“In the year 1870 a school-chapel was built at Sandhills, a growing section of the town, where also a day school was established, which has done, and is still doing, splendid educational work, with one of our most popular local preachers at its head, who has served as headmaster with great efficiency and very cheering results for over fourteen years.”
The article doesn’t actually name the head teacher.
Education was crucial to the Primitive Methodists. Although learning to read would help in reading the Bible it was more widely seen as a key part of personal development. This was especially important to a group of people excluded from so many aspects of Nineteenth century life.
Many thanks to David Foster for confirming that the building still exists in Lark St Darwen BB3 2LT It is currently a house/warehouse. David also provided two pictures which give the date as 1869
Christian Messenger 1906 page 44