The return from Eccles Primitive Methodist chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by one of the members, Abraham Pickup, of Queen Street, Eccles.
Abraham did no know when the chapel was erected, but believed it was around 1818. The chapel accommodated 220 in seats with a further 100 standing. Attendance on Census Sunday was 30 in the afternoon and 14 in the evening. There was usually a morning Sunday School with 35 scholars.
The building was rented from Mr Lees of Bowden, Cheshire and required three months notice for it to be vacated.
There doesn’t appear to be a Barton Street in Eccles now, or a Queen Street. Where was the chapel and what happened to it?