Featherstall Primitive Methodist Preaching Room and Sunday School

The Lodge, 117-119 Featherstall Road, OL15 8JZ

Featherstall Primitive Methodist Preaching Room and Sunday School

Featherstal (sic) is shown on the 1847 6” OS map.  It lies just over half a mile WSW of Littleborough and under ¼ mile away from Stubley Hall where a Primitive Methodist society used the chapel between about 1830 and 1856.

There are no entries for Featherstall in either the 1851 Census (Places of Worship) or the 1867 Registration.

1869:  The 1869 Slater’s Trade Directory for Rochdale lists thirteen PM ‘Places of Worship’ including Featherstall (see ‘Rochdale and Area PM Societies and Chapels’ on this website).

1870:  Report in the Rochdale Observer, 6 August 1870:

‘LITTLEBOROUGH BAND OF HOPE FESTIVAL.– Last Saturday, the 2nd annual demonstration of the Littleborough United Bands of Hope was held … Upwards of 700 persons joined in the procession (principally youths), representing various bands of hope in the neighbourhood.  The procession was headed by the Darwen Temperance Band’.

The Band was followed by eight non-conformist schools including four Primitive Methodist:  Featherstall, Summit, Shore and Greenshill (sic).  A full transcript of the report can be seen on the ‘Rochdale and Area PM Societies and Chapels’ page on this website.

Reported in the Rochdale Observer of 22 October 1870:

‘Unsectarian New School. – A new Sunday school has lately been established at Featherstall, in a room formally occupied as a kind of warehouse.  In December, 1869, a few friends formally worshipping at Stubley becoming rather dissatisfied with the way matters were managed determined to set up a school for themselves, and the result is that they have at the present time 24 teachers male and female, and 44 scholars.’

The Sunday School can be seen on the 1890 1-to-500 OS town map; it is on the Featherstall Road almost opposite the junction with Whitelees Road, a little over 100 yards east of the Stubley PM chapel.  It scales at about 17’ frontage x 39’ deep.

1872:  Report in the Rochdale Observer, 23 November 1872:

‘Tea-party. – On Saturday the Annual Band of Hope tea party in connection with the Featherstall Sunday school and preaching-room was held in the schoolroom.  About 120 persons partook of tea. ….’

1888:  Report in the Rochdale Observer, 7 January 1888:

‘Tea meetings were held on Saturday at …. ; and on Monday at the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Stubley, at Featherstall Preaching Room and at …’

I have not been able to identify where the Preaching Room was.

1908:  The 1908 25” OS map shows a building labelled ‘Sun. Sch.’ on the same site as the Sunday School on the 1890 map but considerably larger.  This building still exists; it is a handsome red-brick building with stone features and a date-stone of 1908.

1937:  The 1937 25” OS map  shows this building labelled as ‘CH.’ (church).

1940:  There is no entry for Featherstall in the 1940 Methodist Church Buildings.

1952-61:  The 7th series 1” map shows this building marked with a plus sign.

The building is currently occupied by the Crew Hair Co., The Lodge, 117-119 Featherstall Road, OL15 8JZ.

Downloads

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.