Daniel Whitaker, the leader and local preacher, of Reediford, Marsden, completed the return from the Primitive Methodist chapel in Great Marsden to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. He tells us that the chapel was erected in November 1843 and accommodated 225 people, 150 of them in free seats
Average attendance was a small congregation of 16 in the morning services and a much larger 100 in both the afternoon and evening ones. However, attendance on Census Sunday was rather fewer because “a favourite preacher is preaching at Trawden 3 miles off”.
There was a sizeable Sunday school averaging 120 in the Sunday morning and 100 in the afternoon.