Dalton in Furness, Ulverston Road/Queen Street PM Chapel, Lancashire

Grid ref SD233742

Ulverston Road chapel was built in 1868. This is almost certainly the chapel used by the Primitive Methodists before their move to Cleator Street. Both the location and the date of construction correspond with Christopher Hill’s statement on his Cleator Street page that the old PM chapel was built in Ulverston Road fifteen years before  Cleator street. The building is now used as a  place of worship by Seventh Day Adventists.

            This building is in what was, by 1868, a rather old fashioned classical design. It is similar to Sandgatehead WM in Penrith (1815), Market Place WM in Cockermouth (1840), and Cecil Street PM in Carlisle (1853). Like Cecil Street it had the  Sunday school below the chapel in a semi basement. The building also makes a marked contrast with Wellington Street WM which had been built in Dalton five years earlier in the gothic style.

 

Site visit, 23.7.2016

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone