Thanks to Karen Peters for the photograph of Gilbert & Alice Peters inside Heald’s Green Methodist Church, Chadderton, in 1985. Gilbert & Alice were Karen’s parents who married at Heald’s Green in January 1946, not long after it was a Primitive Methodist chapel. He was an American GI in the 8th Army Air Force, stationed at Warrington. Mom lived on Burnley Lane in Chadderton, where her father was engineer at Kent Mill. They met at Belle Vue Park in Manchester.
The story of the chapel is told in part through Ordnance Survey maps. The 1891 and 1915 maps show the forerunner building adjacent to the chapel active in the 1980s. It is labelled on the 1891 as Primitive Methodist chapel and on the 1915 map as Primitive Methodist church. n On the 1932 map, the previous building, slightly extended to the rear, is labelled Sunday school and a new chapel has been built to the north of the first chapel.
Street view in August 2020 shows the first chapel in residential use. It still retains its original identification stone, but badly weathered and not clear enough to read.
The later chapel is no longer a church and builders are at work.
Street View in 2012 shows the first chapel for sale but the second chapel still in active use. By 2015, the first chapel is in residential use but the second chapel still an active church.
What’s the story?