The 1920 Christian Messenger tells us “The jubilee of our second town society was celebrated in 1915. When that cause was first formed (1865) in the East-end of the borough it was a notable success. Then it passed through a most critical period, when it was up against grave difficulties and had almost to admit defeat. But there were faithful souls supported by the circuit authorities who held on and eventually the brighter day dawned. An unused chapel in Miller Street belonging to the Methodist New Connexion was purchased, and, in course of time, a flourishing church and school were built up. A new church was erected in 1900, at a cost of more than £1,000. In this enterprise the officials were led by Rev. G. Trusler, who confessed only recently that, although he had helped to reduce a great many debts upon church property, this was the only church he had built during his ministry. This was followed in 1914 by the building of a school of quite modern type. “
Street View shows residential flats on the site.
Christian Messenger 1920/16