Heywood Salem Primitive Methodist chapel

Bridge Street, Heywood

Heywood Bridge Street Primitive Methodist chapel
Christian Messenger 1920/16
Heywood Salem Primitive Methodist chapel

Bridge Street chapel replaced the 1835 chapel in Bank Street Heywood.  The Christian Messenger tells us  “At the foundation stone-laying on Saturday, May 20th, 1871, an address was given by Rev. James Macpherson. The new Church and School cost upwards of £2,000, and the opening sermon, which was long remembered, was preached by Rev. Dr. E. Mellor, of Bradford. “

“At Bridge Street the old school was demolished in 1909, the accommodation being quite insufficient, and a fine new School erected the following year at a cost of £2,800. It is a most commodious and up-to-date building, with seventeen class-rooms and highly approved by all Sunday-school experts who have visited it. The Church pulsates with life and so do the Sunday-school, the Band of Hope and the Christian Endeavour Society. “

There is new housing on the site in 2019

Reference

Christian Messenger 1920/16

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *