Hollinwood Primitive Methodist chapel
Bourne Street Chadderton OL9 7LX
Hollingwood Primitive Methodist chapel in the Oldham circuit opened on August 14th and 15th 1831 when the preachers were Mr Tillotson and Mr J Brittain. The event is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine by W Taylor. Bro Garner preached at the laying of the foundation stone.
The new chapel measured 24′(w) x 30′(l).
The 1831 chapel was replaced in 1861, on a new site close by, by a larger chapel measuring 13 yards x 13 yards, built of brick with stone facing and side galleries. It cost £900 of which they had raised £300.
The foundation stone was laid in August 1860 by J. D. Worthington, Esq.. Preachers at the opening from March 17th 1861 W. Antliff (who contributed a description to the Primitive Methodist magazine when the chapel was spelled Hollinwood), R. M. Davies (Independent), T. Jobling, and J. Dumbell. Messrs. Waterson and Metcalf were the contractors.
The chapel closed in 1922. Bourne Street still exists but is now an industrial estate and in 2016 retains its cobbles; it is parallel to Clowes Street
Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 271
Primitive Methodist magazine July 1861 page 435-436