Where Chapelfield Primitive Methodist chapel once stood, there are now blocks of low rise flats.
The opening of a new chapel at Chapelfield is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1888. The fact it is referred to as a new chapel implies that there was already one there. We aren’t told much, except that over half of the cost of the building has been raised. It was in the Bury circuit.
The chapel is open on the 1957 Ordnance Survey map but the area has been redeveloped by the 1971 OS Plan.
Supplementary information from Chris Wells
Blackburn Street runs south east from the centre of Radcliffe to the bridge over the river Irwell. The road then continues south-east as Stand Lane for a mile to Stand. Creamfield lies 2/3 mile along Stand Lane from the Irwell bridge.
First chapel (Walker Street)
1851: This website does not hold a Census Return for this chapel.
1867: This chapel is not listed in the List of Places for Public Religious Worship. However, it was mentioned by the Bury Times on 9 and 23 February of that year, reporting on a sermon and a Home and Foreign Missionary Meeting respectively.
1870: Worrall’s Trade Directory for Bury, in the Radcliffe and Pilkington Street Directory section, shows ‘PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL’ under Stand Lane, CHAPELFIELD, between 258 [Stand Lane] and Union Street (now renamed Chapelfield).
1880: From the Bury Times of 22 May:
‘PRIMITIVE METHODIST, CHAPELFIELD. –No. of scholars: Females 40, males 36, total 76. Teachers: Females 5, males 4, total 9; grand total 6. Procession to Stand, Dales-lane, Hollinhurst, to a field kindly lent by Mr. Foster. Refreshments – substantial tea in school. Excursion to Blackpool on Saturday.’
1883: Barrett’s Directory of Bury, Heywood, etc 1883 p. 206 Pilkington, states that ‘The Primitive Methodist Chapel is situated at Chapelfield.’
1885: Stand Independent Church (which became part of the United Reformed Church in 1972) was built on the site of the 1830 PM chapel; it can be seen on the 1891 25” OS map incorrectly labelled ‘Meth. Chap.’. The church building still exists (derelict?) and is a listed building – see here; there are further photographs on Genuki.
Second Chapel (Union Street)
1888: The opening of the new chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine (see above). The 1891 25” OS map shows the new chapel at the junction of Union Street with Stand Lane, labelled ‘Meth. Chap.’. I’m guessing that the footprint represents a chapel with a schoolroom across the back, the chapel scaling at about 33 feet x 27 feet and the schoolroom at about 34 feet x 26 feet.
1940: The chapel was listed in the 1940 Methodist Church Buildings Report Districts ‘B’, Circuit 230 Radcliffe. The following information was provided:
Chapelfield (Stand Lane): made of brick; seating 230; pews; one hall and two other rooms.
The site of the chapel is now occupied by 256 Stand Lane M26 1JF
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1888 page 124