New Springs Primitive Methodist chapel

Whelley, Aspull, Wigan WN1 3PX

New Springs Primitive Methodist chapel

New Springs Primitive Methodist chapel

The laying of a foundation stone for New Springs Primitive Methodist chapel, school room and vestries is described by W Tonkin in the Primitive Methodist magazine  by W Tonkin. The ceremony took place on February 24th 1868. John Lancaster of Rugby laid the stone with a silver trowel and mahogany mallet. Involved in the celebrations were Revs J Prestwich, W Rowe, J Macpherson, J Travis, J Bailey, W Tonkin, T Griffith and W Roaf.  400 sat down for tea in the Independent chapel.

The new chapel would be 42’ x 36’; it was designed by J Wilde of Oldham and built by W Riding of Ormskirk. It was expected to cost £900 of which they would raise £400

Late Nineteenth century Ordnance Survey maps show a Primitive Methodist chapel on Whelley Road, just east of Bath Street. Was that it? There is a modern house on the site on Street View.


Primitive Methodist Magazine 1868 page 310-311

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.