The 1901 November Primitive Methodist magazine records that an effort was being made to reduce the debt that the Primitive Methodist society owed for its premises on Eldon Street. It was a valuable property, but at the time there was a large school operating on it.
We are told that “a large and splendid site for a new chapel constitutes part of the estate.” The writer hoped the society was strong enough to achieve its building.
The 1910 Ordnance Survey map shows a large school on Eldon Street, between Henderson Street and Lowndes Street. Was that it? In 2020 it is still there as Eldon Primary School.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1901 page 875