The Primitive Methodist magazine of 1889 contains a commendation of the Prim society for the laying of the memorial stones of a new chapel with school room and classrooms at Ramsbottom. The commendation was because, although the substantial building would cost over £3,000, most of it had been raised by the stone laying.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the eastern side of Bolton Street, between Spring Street and Buchanan Street. It disappears from Ordnance Survey maps by 1964. There is a large house on the site on Street View.
Thanks to Chris Wells for supplementary information about the chapel.
Ramsbottom lies on the river Irwell about 4 miles north of Bury and about 4 miles south of Rawtenstall.
This chapel can be seen on the OS Town Plan, labelled ‘Methodist Chapel (Primitive) (Seats for 560)’ and scaling at about 66 feet x 38 feet. It was the third Ramsbottom PM chapel after that built in 1833 near the Market Place (see here) and that built in 1862 in Bridge Street (see here).
1889: The Primitive Methodist magazine 1889 reported on the laying of memorial stones of a new chapel with school room and classrooms (see above)
1890: From the Manchester Courier of 29 August;
‘Jonathan Warburton, Major Hotel, 160, Bolton-road, Ramsbottom, applied to have an adjoining cottage added to his licensed premises, for the use and privacy of his family. – Mr. Birtwhistle objected on behalf of the trustees of the Primitive Methodist body in Ramsbottom, who have recently built a new chapel on the opposite side of the street, …’
From the Ramsbottom Observer of 30 November 1900:
‘Primitive Methodist Bazaar at Ramsbottom … premises built 1890 [for] £3805’ (printing indistinct)
1906: Bury Archives hold the Annual Report Form for the Primitive Methodist Sunday School Union:
‘11 male and 13 female teachers. 69 male and 50 female scholars. On reverse ‘ Scholar’s Letter for 1906’ (RHS/6/3/3/2)
1930: Bury Archives hold a photograph of ‘Whitsuntide group with banner outside Primitive Methodist Church, Bolton Street, Ramsbottom’ (RHS/21/6/2/10).
1940: The chapel was listed in the 1940 Methodist Church Buildings Report Districts ‘B’, Circuit 228 Bury and Ramsbottom. The following information was provided:
Ramsbottom (Bolton Street): made of stone; seating 750; pews; no hall or other rooms.
1954: The Bury Archives hold the Bolton Street PM chapel’s Minutes and treasurer’s book 1928-54 (CCR).
1954-64: Presumably the chapel closed between 1954 and 1964 when it had disappeared from the OS map (see above).
The site of the chapel is now occupied by no. 161 Bolton Street, Ramsbottom, Bury BL0 9JD.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1889 June page 380