Rishton Primitive Methodist chapel
“New Chapel Opening, Rishton, Blackburn Circuit.— Rishton is a village about three miles distant from Blackburn. Here our people have preached for some time in a cottage. The time having arrived when something should be done in the way of erecting a place of worship, we commenced to beg in September last for the above object, being favoured with success, arrangements were made to lay the memorial stone.
On Saturday, Jan. 23rd, 1869, the memorial stone was laid by Mr. George Duckworth. Messrs. R. Haydock, R. Heywood, G. Clarke, Esq., the Rev. J. Asprnall, E. Renshaw, E. Cairns and J. Macpherson, took part in the proceedings.
The chapel is thirty-six feet by thirty feet, nineteen feet from floor to ceiling, the walls are built of good stone rock. Sittings are provided for over 200 persons. The opening services were celebrated on Sunday, June 20th , when sermons were preached in the morning and evening by the Rev. E. Cairns, and in the afternoon by G. Clarke, Esq. (Wesleyan).” Again, on Sunday, June 27th, sermons were preached in the morning and evening, by the Rev. J. Aspinall. The collections realised amounted to .£22 14s. 10d. The cost of the erection, including gas fittings, making deeds, and other sundry expenses is about £200, towards which sum £150 will be raised
Considering the little strength we have at Rishton, the depression of trade and other difficulties we have had to encounter, we may truly say, “What hath God wrought !” The Trustees tender their sincere thanks to all who have helped them. May the chapel be the birth-place of many souls. Edward Cairns”
In A history of Blackburn, William Abrams tells us that in July 1876 a Primitive Methodist school-chapel was opened in School Street. It cost £1,200, seated 500 and replaced a smaller previous school room used by the Prims as a preaching place.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1868 page 620
Abram W Alexander A history of Blackburn Heritage publications, accessed online on March 20 2020