The 1892 comments that Standish was a village that missioners used to pass through on their way to other more significant places, but with the growth of the village as the coal industry and the population grew, attention turned to the village.
A chapel on Preston Road was opened in 1891, with sufficient land for a Sunday school.
The 1894 Ordnance Survey map shows the chapel and by the 1904 map the Sunday school alongside has been added. Both buildings are still labelled by 1968, but by 1977 the chapel building has disappeared and the Sunday school is no longer labelled. There is a builders yard on the rear part of the premises.
On Street View in 2018 the site has been cleared. Confusingly, earlier (2009) Street View shows a large, newly built office block on the site which is shown to have been demolished by August 2016.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1892 February Page 123