Summit Primitive Methodist Chapel, Todmorden Road, Lancashire
This chapel was built in 1866
This chapel sits on the busy main road between Todmorden and Littleborough. The building appears to have been on two floors and in 2014 it is a private dwelling. Date of closure is unknown.
Photos taken April 2014
OS Map Ref:
Additional information: (CH)
There’s an account by D Tuton in the 1866 Primitive Methodist magazine of the foundation stone laying at Summit Primitive Methodist chapel. The society had met and run a Sunday school for 30 years “in a room fitted out for the purpose”. The new chapel was designed to hold 300 with a schoolroom underneath for 300. It would cost £700.
The foundation stone was laid by Miss Bottomly (Ramsden Wood). Speakers included Rev J Graham, Rev J Macpherson, John Titlow, J Crompton, EA Davies, J Travis, J Hall and D Tuton.
The chapel was located at the junction of Holt Street and Todmorden Road.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1866 page 693