The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return describes the chapel as stone built, seating 185 in pews with one hall and three additional rooms.
The Rossendale Family History and Heraldry website provides a detailed history of the chapel and picture. The initial work was through a Sunday School commenced in 1860. A chapel was built in 1867/8. It closed in October 1970, although a Sunday School continued until August 1984.
Lancashire Archives has the following information about this chapel:
- Ref. NMR O6: Records for Townsendfold Primitive Methodist Chapel, c.1868-1932,1933-1971.
- Ref. MRO/6/14: Townsendfold (Townsend Fold) Primitive Methodist Records. – Words & Music for a Demonstration Service named “Roadways” with names of the children taking part, c.1900.