Wigan; Abram [Primitive] Methodist Chapel

Chapel when first erected | Archie Earl's Collection
Chapel when first erected
Archie Earl's Collection
With Rose Window and wall | Archie Earl's Collection
With Rose Window and wall
Archie Earl's Collection
Four bungalows now in the chapel site | Archie Earl's Collection
Four bungalows now in the chapel site
Archie Earl's Collection
Map 1928
Map 1928
Bill Lane: Accordion. David Jones: Harry Pennington: Beard & Bass Fiddle. Arthur Archer: Harold Stevens: Bert Rogerson: Big Drum & Hand Brush. David Bishop: | Bill Lane
Bill Lane: Accordion. David Jones: Harry Pennington: Beard & Bass Fiddle. Arthur Archer: Harold Stevens: Bert Rogerson: Big Drum & Hand Brush. David Bishop:
Bill Lane

ABRAM [Primitive] Methodist Chapel – Wigan

A Tin Tabernacle it was erected in the late 1800’s and served until it closed in 1985. Four bungalows now stand on it’s site in Warrington Road.

It is said that the building started life as a Seaman’s Mission in Liverpool and that it was taken down and transported to Abram by barge along the nearby Wigan to Leigh branch of the Leeds Liverpool canal.

When they became more established they “improved” the building by adding a round window over the door along with a brick wall and railings.

Below is a photograph of Abram Methodist Skiffle Group were formed in 1960, they toured and played at the various churches along with their own.

Bill Lane: Accordion. David Jones: Harry Pennington: Beard & Bass Fiddle. Arthur Archer: Harold Stevens: Bert Rogerson: Big Drum & Hand Brush. David Bishop:

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone