Barlestone Primitive Methodist Chapel, Leicestershire

Barlestone ex-PM Chapel in 2012 | John Welford
Barlestone ex-PM Chapel in 2012
John Welford

John Welford, of Barlestone, has provided a picture of the Barlestone ex-PM Chapel. The picture was taken in 2012 when the chapel was still open. It has been closed for at least two years and the future of the building is uncertain.

Barlestone Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1833, with 80 free and 30 other sittings. There was just one service on Sunday 30 March 1851, in the evening, when 64 people attended.

(added by CH) The Primitive Methodist magazine of July 1857 contains an account by James West of the re-opening of Barlestone Primitive Methodist chapel after “a thorough renovation.” Re-opening services were held on April 12th 1857, although “the congregations were not so large as were expected”.

A public tea meeting was held the next day attended by “a goodly number sat around the festive board” despite unfavourable weather. “Lively and spirited sermons” were preached by J Hunt, R Price, C Wood, Rev T Roberts and Rev J Wilkinson.

References

Leicestershire History website

The Primitive Methodist magazine July 1857 p.431

Comments about this page

  • Barlestone Primitive Methodist Chapel was built of brick in 1832/3 and a school added in 1884. By 1910 £625 had been spent on the buildings. A further £48 had been spent by 1932.  From 1910 to 1932 the chapel seated 220 but by 1940 this had been reduced to 150 persons in pews and there was one schoolroom and no other rooms. (Sources: Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office N/M/142/92; Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940 p163; Site Visit 9.8.2018).

    By GW Oxley (11/08/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone