Humberstone Road Primitive Methodist chapel in Leicester was opened in 1911. In 2019 and 2021 it is in use as a Madrasah and Masjid.
The 1881 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account of the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist Sunday school in Humberstone Road.
The chapel and former Sunday school are side by side.
Thanks to Charles de Podesta for supplying the photographs. Further photos he supplied show a number of memorial stones, commemorating the erection of the building. Many carry the date September 1st 1910. There are also tablets with names on individual bricks.
Names on separate tablets include:
- G Manger and family
- D Sharp, Sunday school superintendent
- J Jones for the young men’s class
- Councillor TW Walker
- J Lee
- In memory of Mrs J Wormleighton, laid for her children by her friend, Mrs J Watkins
- Mrs W Bosworth
- Mrs T West for the young women’s class
- Alderman S Hilton JP
- CJ Forknall for the Choir
- Mrs Austin Lane
- Mrs D Sharp
- Mrs W Forknall
- Mr & Mrs J Hill
- Mrs G W ?illson
- Mr W Cooper
- Mr GS Larrad
- Mr HA Halford
- Mr T West
- Mr FR Purdy
- Mr WM Stabler
and on the Sunday school, dated 1st March 1881
- F Warner
Primitive Methodist magazine 1881 page 317