“In 1829 what had been an Independent Methodist chapel in Alexander Street was
bought for £250 and here began a work which grew into what is now the second
circuit. In 1841 a chapel was built in York Road and in 1873 these two societies
united in a new and commodious church in St Nicholas Street. After twenty-six years
this church was doomed for street-widening, but the pieces of stonework on the front
were carefully numbered and the church re-erected in its original form on the Fosse
Road and modern school buildings added.”
The revenue from the sale of the chapel resulted in two new chapels – St Nicholas Street Memorial chapel on Fosse Road and Hinkley Road.