Leicester Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel, later Highfields
Melbourne Rd, Leicester LE2 0DR
The former Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel is still in use in 2016 as the New Testament Church of God.
The first Primitive Methodist sermon heard in Leicester was preached by John Benton in 1818. Clipstone Street chapel was opened in 1884 and the 1884 Primitive Methodist magazine records the laying of the foundation stones for the new chapel “under auspicious circumstances”. They had decided to only build part of the intended plans as that was all they could afford. It was in the Leicester Third circuit..
The chapel was one of the venues for the 1907 Primitive Methodist Conference when it came to Leicester. At that time it was known as Clipstone Street. However, Clipstone Street as a road does not appear on a current street map; but the street name sign is still on the right hand side side wall. It overlooks a yard, the entrance to which is blocked by gates. The whole area has been subject to considerable redevelopment and Clipstone Street as such has disappeared.
In time the chapel became known as Highfields chapel. It is on the current Melbourne Road. Some of the commemorative tablets on the outside of the chapel can be seen in the document below.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1884 page 60